Latest News from Inkwell
2014 Historical Novel Society International Short Story Award
The 2014 Historical Novel Society International Award, with a prize of $2,000, will be for an outstanding historical short story. There will be an entry fee of $15 per story ($5 for members of the Historical Novel Society), and entries must be between 1,000 and 5,000 words. Submissions will be accepted from 1st December 2013, with a deadline for submissions of 1st April 2014.
For an idea of the quality of story we are looking for, please see the first HNS anthology, The Beggar at the Gate.
- Your story can be in any genre of historical fiction. For the purpose of these rules, historical fiction shall mean fiction set in the main at least fifty years ago.
- To qualify your story must be within 1000 and 5000 words.
- The closing date for submissions is 1 April 2014.
- Submissions may be made online only, via our submission form. All documents must be double spaced in Word with each page numbered in sequential order.
- Your story will be judged anonymously, so do not put your name or pseudonym anywhere on any document other than the submission form.
- No alterations may be made following submission.
- Anyone may enter, regardless of age or nationality and whether or not previously published. Posthumous entries are not acceptable.
- Stories should be in English and should not have been published or accepted for publication anywhere in the World.
- Stories that have been self-published in print or digitally are ineligible.
- Any story entered must be your own original work and not a translation of another author’s work.
- This Award shall not be open to anyone involved in its organization or judging or their families.
How to enter
- Entries can be received online only via this page, and entrants must follow the instructions on our submissions form carefully.
- The entry fee of $15 ($5 for members of the Historical Novel Society) allows you to enter one story. You may enter as many stories as you like, provided each story is accompanied by the entry fee.
- Entry fees must be in US dollars. If you bank in another currency, PayPal will convert your fee automatically into US dollars.